G4S KENYA AUTOMATION
G4S Courier is a logistics arm of business for G4S Kenya Ltd. It offers third party logistics, warehousing& distribution and courier for Covers, Parcels and Mailbags.
1. Business Facts :
- Market share : 58% – 60% of the Kenya courier market share.
- Foot Print : Branch network- of 145 operational service centers and over 200 destinations covering daily countrywide.
- Human resource : Workforce of over 1,200 Skilled and well trained man power where drivers and riders have over 7 years of active driving.
- Experience in courier industry : Over 45 Years of experience in provision of courier solutions.
- Capacity/Infrastructure : Fleet of over 200 ideal courier Motorcycles and over 200 Vehicles of different load capacities. One main hub, warehouses and four mini hubs in the regions.
- Certification : ISO 9001:2018 Certified.
- Shipments : Over six million shipments delivered yearly.
- Clients served by industry : Banking, Agricultural, Pharmaceuticals, e-Commerce, Telecom, Motor and wholesale and retail industries among others.
- Technology : Logistics Management system that has a track and trace capability that can be accessed through web or mobile app.
2. About Automation :
G4S management took up automation to improve productivity and increase customer confidence towards business products. The major components that were reviewed to ensure automation delivered success to the business were;
(a) Challenges faced and Customer requirements :
As a third party logistics various demands on automation come from customers with different needs/requirements. The business also required a productivity measuring tool to increase its productivity. Here are the challenges and requirements-
- Lack of an effective end to end track and trace system that offers single source of track and trace.
- Additional security and controls on to shipments by use of technology.
- Lack of a seamless handshake between client system and G4S system.
- Revenue leakages.
- Movement of physical POD to requester station.
- Manual keeping of records.
- Longer time to close a call on track and trace.
- Loss on man hours on track and trace.
- Lack of mobility with the legacy system.
(b) About solution :
G4S contracted Logixgrid Technologies LTD to offer a solution to the above challenges. Logixgrid offered Logixgrid ERP application to address all above challenges/requirement. The Solution offers,
- A web application that offers both back end and front end operations.
- G4S Matrix Mobile app that brings mobility to the applications where crews can capture data at client premises.
- G4S courier app – This a consumer facing mobile app where consumer can track and trace,get G4S contacts and locations for G4S service centers, get quotation and reports upon sign up to the app.
- Customer portal – A web application and with consumer facing portal. It does enable consumer to; track and trace, get reports, invoices and making picking requests at his/her comfort of his laptop/Tablet/computer.
- Tracking widget that is embedded at G4S Kenya website for track and trace.
- Web service API’s for shipments creation and track and trace.
(c) Impact/benefits :
Upon deployment the business has accrued the following benefits-
- Better track and trace system.
- Sealing of revenue leakages.
- Better internal shipments reconciliation tool.
- Better tool for productivity measure on resources.
- Better stationary management.
- Additional product such as COD services to customers/merchants.
- Increased penetration to e-Commerce industry through seamless data exchange of both client and LogixERP.
- Improved customer satisfaction.
- Better tools for data mining and warehousing for decision support.